Amazon All-new Fire TV Cube

Pros:• plenty of choices for steaming 4k (make sure your tv can be built for that resolution). I mainly use netflix, but you have prime and thousands of more apps with this little guy. Have to admit it’s a pretty large library (that also has simple games to play). • my tv is built to play 4k, and i found no difference in quality if i put in a blu-ray disk instead. • i’m getting a pretty immersive experience. 60 fps with hdr10 support and dolby atmosphere for audiophiles. • the cube is pretty fast as well. The response time is very efficient when you’re asking simple questions/commands. I have to assume that because of the cube software, it doesn’t need to rely on amazon’s servers. • have to give props on the microphone inside this machine.

I originally gave this a a 3 star review because of a cache clearing and playback issues, but amazon saved the day with an update. On top of that, james from customer service called me to let me know that the issue had been fixed. That’s awesome customer service. I was really ready to take it back to bestbuy and give it a shot at a later date. The only reason i didn’t give it a 5 star review is an issue with backing out of apps and menus. I didn’t notice it at first; you can navigate forward through the different apps and menus, but when you go back through the menu it goes straight to the home screen. It wasn’t until i went to the 4k firestick in the bedroom that i confirmed that something was wrong. Overall this is a good product. Lightning fast start up and menu navigation. If they fix the issue with backing out of menus and apps, i will definitely give this 5 stars. Update: got home and there was another update.

This is almost perfect, imo. I am a first gen cube user and loved the tight integration with echo built-in. I loved the cube so much it actually convinced me to cut the cord and leave cable tv altogether in favor of playstation vue live tv streaming. I bought 3 of the 1st gen, one for each tv in the house, and never looked back. Over the last year with the 1st gen model, it started to slow down as more items were installed. Not really sure why or how but it was slow and i frequently had to restart the device to get vue working reliably. Everything on it is snappy and so much more quicker than the gen 1 model ever was. I timed vue opening on both devices and the old model took 24 seconds to get to the main screen while the new one got to the same point in less than 12 seconds flat. And everything from moving in the menu, going into settings, running silk, just seems faster and more smooth. The only negative, and to me its a big one. It is still running micro usb for the ethernet dongle which limts its capability to 100mbs speed.They were redoing the whole thing, new soc, 4k, everything, and they left the maximum wired connection to 100mbs, just makes no sense to me.

I bought this to upgrade my previous version cube. It is easy to set up and much faster than the older version. One problem is that you can’t clear the cache on your apps. I have tried it from settings/apps and when you select it nothing happens. I don’t think you should have to uninstall and re-install your apps just to clear the cache. Another thing i have noticed on my samsung 4k tv is that the picture gets darker. If i go in to my tv settings i can reset it and maybe it is my tv but this never happened before i set up the new cube. Update: i forgot to note in my original review that i was really disappointed that this did not come with an hdmi cable. Update 10/18/19: amazon customer service was great and called me regarding the clear cache problem. There has been an update and it works fine now. I have changed my rating as the follow up was great and she was very helpful with any questions i had on any of my echo devices.

This is a massive improvement over the 1st gen cube. Voice control is responsive and accurate, setup was pretty straight forward, and it works really well with my tv and av equipment. Netflix and prime video work well with both voice and remote control, i didn’t have any trouble with 4k hdr or dolby vision stuff. I was able to play some dolby atmos (dd+ streaming version) content over prime video. Overall, this is an excellent box for a person who streams everything from online services. The upgrades are welcome, anyone who was frustrated with the performance of the first gen cube but intrigued by the functionality should probably give this one a chanceif you use plex, kodi or similar. The experience is less than desirable. The box doesn’t do passthrough for lossless codecs such as dolby truehd, dolby atmos (non-dd+/lossless version) and dts-ma. Playing 4k content with any of that causes all sorts of issues while streaming. Including not playing at all, blank screens, or sever stuttering.


Features and Spesification

  • The fastest, most powerful Fire TV.
  • From across the room, just ask Alexa to turn on the TV, dim the lights, and play your show.
  • Control compatible soundbar and A/V receiver, and change live cable or satellite channels with your voice.
  • With the built-in speaker, ask Alexa to check the weather, turn off the lights, and more – even when the TV is off.
  • Instant access to 4K ultra HD content, plus support for Dolby Vision and HDR, HDR10+.
  • Watch favorites from Netflix, YouTube, Prime Video, Disney+, Apple TV, HBO, and more. Stream for free with Pluto, IMDB TV, and more.
  • Designed to protect your privacy. Press the microphone on/off button to disconnect the microphones.
  • With Prime, watch TV episodes and movies such as “Hanna”.
  • Use the power and volume buttons on your Alexa Voice Remote to control your TV without making a sound.



Buy on Amazon.com


Comments

Popular Posts